This weekend I learned something about kids who love art.
- The Setting: Outside the National Buffalo Museum during the White Cloud Birthday Celebration.
- The Temperature: Sunny, mid – 80°s – it was pretty hot
- Activity: Make (draw a design, make shapes, create a message, paint with glaze) a tile for an upcoming installation in the Jamestown Arts Center’s Art Park.
The characteristics of the young artists I observed were…
- strong imaginations at work
- exceptional patience and focus
- a need to convey a message
- a need and willingness to sign their work–exemplifying confidence
- a willingness to make mistakes, change direction and regroup
The mantra I heard over and over by parents and grandparents, “come find me at those picnic tables when you are done…” They got tired of waiting and simply decided to just go sit in the shade. I appreciated these folks for not rushing their kids and just letting them relax into the creative process. The resulting tiles were some mini masterpieces-I can’t wait to see them fired.